How much do these beauties cost??
Floorcloths are just like any kind of handmade art. They take time to make. They require many process steps in order to have a complete and professional finish.
You are paying for my knowledge of design and color theory. You are paying for my ability to technically manage the materials.
This is an investment into something that will beautify your space and bring joy and enlightenment everyday!
When I price a floorcloth I have to consider how complicated the design is. The simpler the design the lower the price. The size of the floorcloth will also determine price.
Most of my floorcloths are priced between $300 and $500.00 depending on design and size. Take a look at the gallery slideshow to see the prices for each design.
I am happy to design a custom floorcloth for you. A custom design will cost a bit more but it is worth it!! Contact me through the website and we can start a conversation!
How do I get my floor cloth once I have ordered it?
If you live locally to the GTA area, I am happy to deliver it to you. If you live out of my driving catchment we can set up a delivery option that you would like to use. Shipping will be extra. Shipping to the States and Overseas is obviously very difficult at this time during Covid-19.
Floorcloths are functional art that you can walk on! Yes, you walk on them! They have a history. You may see them on the floors of historical sites and houses.
Area canvas rugs, today known as floorcloth, had their start in 18th century England. Initially used by the wealthy, the designs and patterns mimicked parquet flooring, tile and marble. As these useful furnishings found their way into middle-class homes, the variety of patterns grew. When American colonists became independent from England, they also began to create their own floorcloths. Eventually the development of linoleum eliminated the interest in these rugs. However, in the past few decades, the desire to decorate homes in a more personal way has stimulated their popularity. Unique designs are made in a variety of styles and colors, using many techniques. This gives today's floorcloths the ability to be created for any style interior.
What makes them functional?
1. They will sit on any flat surface. They do not sit well on carpet or 3-dimensional surfaces such as stone, or recessed tile.
2. They are very low-profile. They do not interfere with the opening of doors or cupboards.
3. They are hypoallergenic! There are no fibres to collect dust. The carpet is made from a heavy grade canvas and then sealed with layers of UV protective water-based varnish.
4. Easy to clean! You just wipe a damp cloth, a mop or your swiffer over it, and voila! Shiny and clean!
5. Can animals walk on them? Yes! I have clients who have dogs and the floorcloths stand up to doggie nails and dirty paws! They are very durable!
What makes them artful?
1. They are made by me! A trained visual and scenic artist who has been painting for years. I learned how to make these floorcloths when I was working at the Stratford Festival. They are used quite a lot in theatrical design. I have since made many for stages across the country.
2. I can create any design if you are looking for something more personal to your home decor. I can also recreate designs that you see here.
3. You should have beautiful and meaningful things around you. Especially now- when we are so challenged by the outside world that we have very little control over. It is now more important than ever, that we create a sacred space for ourselves and those who share our space.